SEND at Cavendish -what we offer

Supporting your child in school
We are an inclusive school that welcomes and celebrates diversity.  All staff believe having high self-esteem is crucial to a child’s emotional well-being and academic progress. We have a caring, understanding team who look after all of our children.

We recognise that you know your child best and you may feel that they need some additional help or support for some or all of their time at school.

This information is to inform you about the support we offer at Cavendish Primary School. It will help you to understand who can help and how this support can be accessed.

Many children need some extra help at times during their school career. For many children, a little additional support and support from other agencies enables them to overcome their difficulties. However, some will continue to need more help throughout their time at school.

Children with a Special Educational Need or Disability (SEND) have learning difficulties or disabilities that prevent them from making the same progress as other children of the same age. They will require different support or help.

The difficulties that children with SEND may present include:

  • Some or all work in school
  • Difficulties reading and writing or maths
  • Expressing themselves
  • Understanding others
  • Sensory perception or Physical mobility
  • Organising themselves
  • Making friends and relating to others
  • Managing their behaviour

If a child continues to have difficulty or has a high level of difficulty when they join us or as they progress through school, they may be considered to have a special educational need or disability (SEND).

Children with SEND have learning difficulties or disabilities that make it harder for them to learn than most children of the same age. They will need extra or different help.  Schools and other agencies can help most children overcome their difficulties quickly and easily.  A few children will need extra help for some or all of their time in school.

If your child is identified with a special educational need or disability, school will follow the Special Educational Needs Code of Practice 2014. It sets out a step by step approach. You should be consulted and involved at all stages.

Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching.

For your child this would mean:

Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.

Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or outside staff)  are in place to support your child to learn.

Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gap in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

All children in school should be getting this as a part of excellent classroom practice when needed.

Specific group work with in a smaller group of children.

This group, often called Intervention groups by schools, may be run in the classroom or outside.

Run by a teacher or most often a teaching assistant who has had training to run these groups.

Stage of SEN Code of Practice: School Action

which means they have been identified by the class teacher as needing some extra support in school.

For your child this would mean:

He/ She will engage in group sessions with specific targets to help him/her to make more progress. A Learning Support Assistant/teacher or outside professional (like a Speech and Language Therapist) will run these small group sessions using the teacher’s plan.

This type of support is available for any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning.

Specialist groups run by outside agencies e.g Speech and Language therapy or Occupational therapy groups.

AND/OR  individual support for your child of less than 20 hours in school.

Stage of SEN Code of Practice: School Action Plus

which means they have been identified by the class teacher/SENCo as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school.

For your child this would mean:

Your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENCo (or you will have raised your worries) as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to quality first teaching and intervention groups.

You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.

You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g an Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.

The specialist professional will work with your  child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:

Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better.

Support to set better targets.

A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g a social skills group.

A group or individual work with outside professional.

The school may suggest that your child needs some agreed individual support in school. They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

Specified Individual support for your child of more than 20 hours in school.

This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher/AHT Inclusion as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching (more than 20 hours a week), which cannot be provided from the budget available to the school.

Usually your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team or Sensory Service ( for students with a hearing or visual need)

Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service.

For your child this would mean:

The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.

After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork).

As part of our support for all children we have regular contact with other agencies. We work with support services and health agencies to provide holistic support for each pupil. Sometimes this will involve completing a Common Assessment Framework (CAF) in order for us to provide continued support whilst offering support for parents. 

We will discuss the needs of your child with you and together with advice from other services create a plan of support together.

Some professional we might invite to the meetings may include:

Our school nurse who works closely with us and families. They can give us advice or help us assess for any medical needs. They also provide a link to other medical professionals such as paediatricians.

Our speech and language therapist who visits school regularly and can advise you on whether your child would benefit from their support.

Our educational psychologist works closely with us and provides assessments and advice on how best to support some children.

Our specialist teacher (SpLD) provides advice, support and teaching for some children with difficulties in literacy.

Behavioural support, child and adolescent mental health service, occupational therapy, sensory support and autistic spectrum disorder support and outreach support from special schools is also available for advice when necessary.

Local high school SENCo's who we liaise with to ensure a successful transition into high school.

If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.

If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the SENCo (Ms McCrindle FS/KS1 or Mrs Hookes KS2) or the  Headteacher

If you are still not happy you can speak to the school SEND Governor.

If you would like advice from professionals outside school you may find the following numbers useful.

Parent partnership 0161 247 7300
SEN families support group 0161 755 3482
School Nurse service 0161 215 2012
Your own doctor or health visitor

Manchester have a LOCAL OFFER for SEND children & families-explaining what is available in Manchester. Use the following link to find out more

If you have a questions, want to look around our school or perhaps you feel that your child’s needs are hard to meet and you want to discuss the matter in more depth, do not hesitate to contact us.

Sarah Hookes

tel 0161 445 1815

Cavendish Primary School
Cavendish Road, West Didsbury,
Manchester, M22 4ES

Tel: 0161 234 1020


Artsmark Logo
Schoolgateway Logo
Parent Info Logo
Every Child Counts Logo
Association for Physical Education
Healthy Schools Logo
Cultural Diversity Logo
Stonewall Bronze Logo
Manchester PE Association

Student Login