Year 5 2019 - 2020
We would like to welcome you and your children to Year 5. We are looking forward to a successful year, full of hard work and smiles!
There are three classes in Year 5. They are taught by Mr. Davies (5MD), Miss Critchley (5CC) and Miss Hansen (5CH). Year 5 will also be supported by Mrs. Turner. PPA will be covered by Mr. Lee, Mr. King and Ms Robinson.
Article 28 Children have the right to a good quality education. They should be encouraged to achieve to the highest level you can.
Here are a few reminders about the school day with reference to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child:
- In the mornings your child will come into school independently. The Rhodes Building will open at 8:45.
- If your child has any valuables they will be put in a safe box and locked away until the end of the day.
- Lunch boxes should be placed on the lunch trolley.
- Snacks must be brought into the classroom and put into the snack tray.
- P.E. kits, book bags and coats will be put into the children’s lockers before they enter their classrooms. The lockers do not lock so your child must put any valuables into the safe box.
No food must be kept in lockers.
- Any latecomers must go to the office for a ticket to give to their teacher. This will let us know they have received their attendance mark. It is essential that your child arrives on time as we begin teaching promptly at 9am.
- At the end of the day, they will be brought to the exit at 3:20pm. If you are late picking them up, they will be taken by an adult to the office to be collected. Please let us know if your child is allowed to make their own way home.
Reading Books/Book Bags
- Your child must bring their reading book and book bag every day. Please check your child’s book bag for any letters, homework and mouldy sandwiches! We do not have the space to store big bags and we appreciate your co-operation with providing your child with a school book bag.
- Our expectation is that all children will complete a piece of Maths and English/Topic homework each week as well as daily reading (10 minutes) and regular times table practice.
- Homework will be given out every Friday to be handed in by the following Wednesday. It will be linked to our learning in class that week, so all children will be able to at least attempt it. Spelling homework will be handed out when we feel this will boost a particular spelling rule.
- Maths homework will be usually set on MyMaths; your child will be given their own password. We expect the homework symbol to be green on completion. If it is red, then they must have another go or go to homework club to get help.
- Late or incompleted homework may result in a Thursday lunch time detention.
- To help children with homework, we also run a homework club every Tuesday lunchtime. Homework needs to be of the same high quality presentation as we see in school books.
Article 24 - Children have the right to the best health care possible, safe water to drink, nutritious food, a clean and safe environment, and information to help them stay well.
- As part of our Healthy Schools policy we encourage the children to bring in a fruit snack for playtime. A water bottle is also a good idea, so children can fill it up before school and at breaktimes – these must be sent home and washed regularly.
Topic in Year 5
Article 29 - Children’s education should help them use and develop their talents and abilities. It should also help them to learn to live peacefully, protect the environment and respect other people.
- This year your child will have the opportunity to learn to play the guitar in class once a week with Mr Lee every Monday.
- On this page there is a breakdown of topics covered across the year, including visits and trips. Children will also have the opportunity to work on an art project with children from The Birches School.
- Occasionally, we are offered opportunities to take the children to special events. If we think that these will enhance their learning they will be added in as additional activities and we will give you as much notice as possible that they are taking place.
- Your child will need their games kit every Monday and Friday. Please ensure that long hair is tied back. If your child has pierced ears, earrings will need to be removed for these sessions. Children must wear black shorts, a white t-shirt and trainers are required for outdoor games. It is helpful if kit is named. There will be no swimming for year 5 this year.
Article 3 - All adults should do what is best for children. When adults make decisions, they should think about how their decisions will affect children.
- If you need to speak to your child’s teacher, then please see us at the end of the day. If it is urgent, then please speak to someone in the office.
- If you wish to talk about your child’s learning needs, Mrs. Carroll is the Year 5/6 SENDCo.
- There will be parents’ evenings in October and February to discuss your child’s progress.
- This year, Class Dojo will be introduced into year 5. This is a great form of communication with your child’s teacher and means your child’s teacher can post occasional updates about learning in school and on trips. We will endeavour to reply to your messages as soon as we can, but please be aware that we are teaching throughout the day so it may take a few days for us to be able to respond.
Files to Download
Year 5: LATEST NEWS items
There are no LATEST NEWS items to display
Year 5: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Year 5: SCHOOL GALLERY items
There are no SCHOOL GALLERY items to display
Year 5: UPCOMING EVENTS items
There are no UPCOMING EVENTS items to display